Follow the evolution of a young drawer as he becomes a better piece of furniture.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Sketches and T-Shirt Woes

Sorry for the late post, blogger was giving me headaches with image posting. Even if no one reads I don't like being late to my own party. Put your pants on cuz it's time to boogie!

Woke up early and got to the Bart sketchbook in hand to document the bleary eyed masses. Started sketching on the way to Balboa Park, I got a good one of the woman in the hood... I think it is some kind of religious garb but am too stupid to know which or what its called. Help me out in the comments if you know.



Got to Balboa park and made some draawings of the people milling around. Why can't anyone stand still for more than 5 seconds? It confounds me. I would tell them to stop moving but am afraid they might think I'm weird and hurt me.



Here's some from after work. I stopped by the park on my way home and drew some folks. The hispanic kids playing soccer are fun to draw but are incessantly in motion. It's excellent training for my growing sketching skills and I'm gonna come back tomorrow and draw them again.



I feel like I need to focus on getting the gesture of the poses faster. Once I can get the basic idea of the pose down I can go back and add some detail later. I will put this theory into effect tomorrow.

Now for some healthy venting to get this off my mind....

At work I checked my email and found out that one of my T-Shirt designs had been rejected. Not because it was a bad illustration, but because they felt the text did not match the quality of the drawing. That was the fucking point!

I don't like the idea of some pretentious asshole rejecting my designs based on their own personal taste. I thought threadless was about distilling the essence of the internet hive mind and boiling it down into a few excellent t-shirts.

The shirt was intended as a parody of the "Free Winona" shirt that was popular when Winona was arrested for shoplifting. Here's my design and the original shirt I parodied.


Threadless was mean to my design and I was sad. :(

I am finishing my Flash comic as I write this and will post it when it's done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home